Sales Engineer-SE-Bay Area
San Mateo, CA | Direct
This is a terrific opportunity to get in on the ground floor of an exciting technology startup.
As a Sales Engineer, you will be providing pre-sales and post-sales support and services to customers, and you will play a critical role in closing major sales opportunities.
You need to be passionate about cloud technologies and have a razor sharp focus on delighting customers and prospects.
If you want to see today's most exciting technologies being implemented at scale, you can be part of a small team of the world's leading cloud experts.
In depth hands on UNIX/Linux system administration skills and experience in managing large scale distributed cloud computing environments, or hosting services.
• Provide technical expertise working with prospective customers: quickly understand customer requirements and specific configurations, and propose cloud based solutions that fit with every specific customers
• Lead and/or participate in customer status calls
• Providing product demos, either in person or remotely
• Contribute to Knowledge Base by documenting frequently asked questions, and troubleshooting techniques
• Respond to community forum posts
• Provide product feedback and help to drive product improvements by working closely with Product Management and Engineering
• Assist in product QA through intensive work with products
• Occasional evening and weekend work
• Perform on-site pre-sales, consulting and support work, as needed (< 20% travel)
• BS/BA in computer science, or management information systems
• 5+ years Linux experience of which 2+ years MUST be at a mid-technical level, or equivalent experience
• Experience working in 7x24 production environment (high availability and reliability, service levels, problem management, change management, performance monitoring, etc.) • Ability to solve problems quickly and automate processes.
• Solid understanding of networking/distributed computing environment concepts; understands principles of routing, client/server programming, the design of consistent network-wide filesystem layouts.
• Should be able to communicate effectively with customers and internal teams, and be able to strongly represent the company in front of the customer. Ability to “ sell”.
• Some light travel may be required in case of installations and/or demos at customer sites. • Ability to work under pressure and time constraints
• Virtualization platform experience (KVM / Qemu / Xen / VMware)
• Basic shell scripting with a focus on troubleshooting
• Creating and maintaining complete and accurate customer documentation
• Troubleshooting, diagnosis, and resolution of major incidents
• Understanding of storage technology, SAN, NAS, NFS, iSCSI, ZFS is a plus.
• Monitoring systems design, configuration, and operation e.G. Nagios, Zabbix, Collectd, Splunk. Desirable:
• Hands-on experience with Cloudstack and Swift
• Technical support, pre-sales support, installation or sales experience in the technology industry preferred
• Hands on with Amazon Web Services
• Automation - Chef or Puppet a plus
• Ruby / Python a plus
• RHEL Packaging Experience
• Operational knowledge of Cassandra and Message Queuing